Monday, February 27, 2012

Hummus Chicken Salad Recipe

One of my favorite lunch time meals is yummy chicken salad.  I've been trying to figure out an alternative to using mayo or Miracle Whip.  And that's when it hit me...why not use hummus?  Much healthier and so tasty! Absolutely genius idea I must say. Then I did a little research and discovered something. I am not the first person to have this fabulous idea. Nonetheless...here is my own recipe.


You will need:
2 cups shredded chicken breast (I tend to use canned chicken {drained})
4 tablespoons of  hummus
2 stalks celery, diced

1/2 cup of red onion, diced (add more or less according to taste--may omit)
1 small apple (peeled and diced--used rather than or in addition to onion)
1 handful of red grapes (add as much or as little as you prefer)
A touch of cracked black pepper and a pinch of sea salt
   (to taste or can be omitted if wanting low sodium)

Instructions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together until reaching desired consistency.
2. Refrigerate overnight or until cool (about 30 minutes)
3. Serve over a bed of fresh lettuce and spinach (yay no dressing necessary) or use whole wheat wraps for something super quick and definitely easy.


Hope you enjoy this recipe.  If you love chicken salad as much as I do and wanting to make something a little better for you, especially if you are dieting, this is a much healthier alternative to having to use the "lite" version of mayo. 

Now if you want to be a little more adventurous, which I plan to do next time, try adding a flavored hummus, such as the jalapeno flavor, to give your chicken salad a little kick.  I am thinking that I will omit the fruits from spicy version next time.

Let me know if you try either of these versions, your substitutions, thoughts and words of advice. 

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment