Monday, February 3, 2014

Crockpot Swiss Steak With Mushrooms

It snowed here yesterday in North Texas, so taking advantage of the "snow day" and home from school/work, I decided I needed to cook the round steak in my freezer. My plan was to try out the roads and head to the grocery store to buy things for soup, but after a call from the hubby, I realized I left my car keys in his car last night. Damn...

What to do...

I'm a theatre teacher/director...plan B let's improvise!

Soup became Swiss steak...then I realized I had neither mushroom soup nor onion soup. Let the improvisation begin!

Ingredients:

2 lbs cube or round steak
Flour (I used almond flour with less carbs)
3T Olive oil 
1 medium onion (chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (diced fine)
1 can stir-fry mushrooms
2 c beef broth (or beef bouillon)
Black pepper to taste

Begin by cutting the raw steak into serving size pieces. Cover the pieces of steak in flour and black pepper. Brown the steak in a skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Lay the pieces in the bottom of the crockpot. Be sure to scrape the skillet, adding all the excess browned flour mixture to the crockpot.
Next, sauté the onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon of oil in the same skillet. Notice the excess from the steak on the onion. Looks and smells great!
Add the sautéed onion and garlic to the steak in the crockpot. 
I found some stir-fry mushrooms in the cupboard along with my other canned goods. My hubby loves mushrooms and so do I, so it's a win-win situation. Here's the brand I used.
 
Drain and add the canned mushrooms to the crockpot.
Add in the 2 cups of beef bouillon or broth. Cook for 6-8 hours covered with lid in the crockpot.
After meat is tender, turn crockpot to warm while you prepare mash potatoes and other sides to go with this delicious dish. 
As you can see after 6-8 hours, it's made its own gravy that perfectly compliments mashed potatoes.

Serve and enjoy! Let me know what you think. 



No comments:

Post a Comment