Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Creamy Mushroom Stuffed Baked Chicken Breasts

I've been on a mushroom kick lately, in the last week or two at least. This spring I've been cooking with a lot fresh vegetables. I'm really looking forward to home-grown summer vegetables as the season changes soon. 

 I'm lately looking for and working on new recipes where I can incorporate fresh mushrooms my hubby and I both love. And being a protein seeker, I've adapted this recipe to be healthy and protein-packed and, at the same time, absolutely delicious. The added protein is added into the cheese mixture so it's basically undetectable to anyone but the chef. 

Ingredients:

2 boneless chicken breasts (thawed)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup diced onion
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3 tablespoons spreadable cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon basil
1 tablespoon flax seed/chia seeds (I use Raw Organics flax seed and chia seed combined)
Black pepper to taste
Garlic powder to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Add in garlic and onion. Sauté until until onions begin to look translucent. Add in mushrooms and sauté, heating through completely.  Turn off heat and add basil, flax/chia, cream cheese, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Mix together to create a creamy cheese mixture. Flatten out chicken breasts to 1/4 inch. Spray non-stick oil spray into a casserole dish. I used the square one to bake two breasts. Add half the mixture to one breast. Roll the mixture up in the breast loosely and secure with a toothpick. Push the leaking mixture back inside the rolled breast. Add the remaining mixture to the other breast, roll and secure. Add both chicken breasts to the casserole dish. Sprinkle with garlic powder, black pepper and red pepper (may omit). Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked. Remove from oven and serve.

I served the stuffed chicken with sautéed garlic Parmesan zucchini. Absolutely delicious. 
Give this recipe a try. Let me know what you think in the comments. And as always, please subscribe!

 Bon appetite! 



No comments:

Post a Comment